2. My walk in the darkness

2. My walk in the darkness

It seems so long ago but in truth it has only been a matter of weeks since it all started. Last September I took a new job as a project manager overseeing a new project, the hours were long and I was practically on call 24/7. I was also doing this from home whilst in the process of renovating a new home so life was quite hectic to say the least. At first I seemed to thrive on the stress, making decisions, being in charge, I felt important and in charge. By february the money for the renovation and paying rent on a property was running out, we had to move into a half-finished house and I was still working from home. Soon the cracks started appearing, I felt like I was losing control at work and found making decisions harder to make. Family life was strained and I started to get frustrated often letting this frustration show as anger and I started to hate myself.

My mood swings were getting worse, one minute I was up almost clown like, acting silly but this was mainly for my daughter and most likely a bit of mania. Next minute I was down, either angry or withdrawn, I thought I was acting normal but my actions were noticeable to those around me. I started to withdraw, not leaving the house, making excuses not to go anywhere or see anyone. conversations with work colleagues started becoming more despondent, rather than being a positive influence I would take small set backs as major issues, every time the phone rang I would feel the anxiety rising. I found excuses turning to lies and making promises that I knew would not be kept, I could not sleep for worry about work, playing the days events through my head and dreading the next day. I was convinced my partner was going to leave me and money was becoming a big issue.

I started feeling pains and numbness in my chest and arm, I worried as there is a family history of heart disease and after a few days of ‘manning up’ but secretly worrying like mad I asked my partner to take me to A&E, the doctor asked a lot of questions but my answers were vague, I felt like he thought I was faking it, after a few tests I was declared physically fit and sent on my way. It started to dawn on me that if it was not my body then it could be my mind. I bigged up my visit to A&E to work in the hope my work load would be reduced and I would get help but whilst they put a plan together it was more a tick box exercise than a real solution. I soldiered on.

As I have previous experience I have stayed away from drink, I wonder now that if I had still been drinking I would have noticed my spiralling condition sooner as I know it as a trigger. Without the drink I took longer to accept that I was in a bad way. One weekend a staff member rang me for a simple problem, I cracked, I did not handle the situation well and after putting the phone down I felt guilt, by the end of the following week I knew I needed help. I have never been to a doctor before apart from when my daughter was born and I had stomach problems and was put on anti depressant and stomach meds. When I went to see the doctor this time I mentioned that I was again having problems with my stomach and was feeling stressed at work. the doctor was sympathetic and prescribed Paroxetine and Omeprazole and signed me off work for a week. As with most people with mental illness I held back, I didn’t mention how bad I really felt and felt that as I now had meds all would be right with the world.

Paroxetine if you don’t know it is a SSRI or Selective serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, I don’t want to dwell on medication in this post but suffice to say they take several weeks to start working but the side effects are instant. I guess the first week passed well in my mind because of the placebo effect, I was taking medication so I must be getting better. I went back to the doctor a week later and he increased the dose, again I made light of my feelings and agreed to another week off work as the side effects were giving me the shakes and my sleep was disturbed. A week went by and I tried to convince myself that I was getting better, I felt less anxious and more relaxed but as my partner pointed out I had not actually done anything for two weeks. In fact in that two weeks I hardly left the sofa.

My next visit to the doctor I convinced him that I could go back to work, he was reluctant but agreed as long as I reduced hours, and had a lighter workload he signed me fit. My employer was very understanding but as soon as the phone started ringing the anxiety was back, nothing had changed, I went into melt down. My partner told me that week that she hadn’t seen a change in me other than sleeping all the time, she was convinced the medication wasnt working for me and by the Friday that week I was in a very dark place. That Friday was the 15th of May 2015 and whilst I don’t want to leave you hanging but what followed was the darkest period of my life so far and deserves its own post.

One thought on “2. My walk in the darkness

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s